Monday, April 6, 2015

Gators, Conference & Transfers!

Hey everyone! Another great week from Tomball and be ready for some more because I am staying here! We found out last night that Elder Christensen is going to be transferred. We have now spent one fourth of our missions together! 

Tuesday, we had a lesson scheduled with Aaron and Bobbie but Bobbie was not feeling well, so we just had a lesson with Aaron. We watched the "He Lives" video and had a great discussion about it. It is truly such an incredible video. I know I feel the Spirit when I watch it. We cannot fully understand all that Christ went through for us but, as we use the Atonement in our lives, we can come to a better understanding what He did for each of us personally and come to a greater appreciation. 

Wednesday was full of miracles! We first had a lesson with Anca again. It has been a while! We taught her the first lesson and something really neat happened. We were going through the lesson and came to the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith and it was my turn to speak. After I explained a little bit about Joseph's life, I went in to restate the first vision. After I restated that to her, looking her right in the eye without blinking, there was a moment of silence and then she said, "Wow, what if this really happened? I never entertained the thought before, but something was different when you just said that to me." All I could do was smile and assure her that the Spirit was there to testify to her. This was an 'aha' moment and it was so cool to see her pondering. She really realized then that if this was, then there are still prophets and apostles today. 

We also were able to see Orian that afternoon and we just read another chapter from the Book of Mormon with him because they had a lot going on and he was trying to figure out if he needed to start packing or not to go to youth conference.

Wednesday evening, Brother Hiatt took us out to go and visit Bill and Kathryn and we watched the He Lives video with them as well and we talked a lot about the Atonement with them. They have a lot going on right now in their lives and they haven't been keeping the commitments that we leave with them so we were trying to figure out if we should keep meeting with them. Last night we went over there to check and see if they watched any of General Conference and they didn't, and then Kathryn said, "I don't want to lead you astray so I hope you know that I will never convert to Mormonism. I love you guys and I enjoy you coming over but I just thought I needed to tell you that." That was really good because that assured us that they are being prepared and hopefully one day in the future, they will be ready to listen to the missionaries. It is such a bold statement, but we are servants of the Lord and this is His work and we have come to find those that are prepared. She understood everything and there were no hard feelings. She actually told us to keep in contact with her even after our missions! 

Thursday I went on exchanges with Elder Graves and we had a great day! We were able to go and have a lesson on the importance of daily prayer with Brother Castillo and he had a non-member friend there that he asked to come listen part way through the lesson. His friend is certainly not interested in meeting with us. As a matter of fact, he just wanted to argue with us about a couple of different things that we believe, so I told Elder Graves that we needed to go. The Spirit is not present when there is arguing taking place and I could see that it was going in that direction. I may or may not have had to bite my tongue! 

Friday, after a great district meeting that Elder Graves taught, we switched back and then it was Elder Christensen and I again! We came back to Tomball and we picked up Aaron Finch and then we went to go visit Brother Mason. We had a really productive lesson with him. I shared some of my thoughts about the council that Nephi gives his brethren at the end of chapter 31 and the beginning of chapter 32 in 2 Nephi. I am reading through a paperback copy of the Book of Mormon and marking it up so I can send it to my beautiful little sissy, Buddah. I love you! :) Brother Mason had some really good questions and he actually had an 'ah ha' moment that day as well. Pretty legit! 

Friday evening, we went over to remind Julie Stewart about General Conference and we ended up talking to her husband Tim for like 45 minutes. He was never really excited to listen to the discussions, but he has opened up to us so much lately. We were talking for a few minutes about all the sports he played growing up and what not and then he was like, "I need to start getting back into shape, so if you guys ever want to go for a run sometime just let me know." I was like lets go tomorrow morning! So we met him at the park Saturday morning and we went for a run and then we shared the "He Lives" video with him! I forgot to mention that Friday night he told us that he appreciates us listening to him and he know he can trust us so he said maybe for a change you guys could share something with me sometime!! Soo sick! So we did! We shared that amazing video and had a discussion and we came to find out last night from Julie that he went home and SHARED IT WITH HER!! This may not seem like a big deal to some of you but, trust me, it is huge!! That is a huge step for Tim. Please keep them in your prayers because we are planning on going over this Tuesday to teach the entire family.  :) 

Okay, so General Conference was amazing! Nuff said. All I will say is that I had two main questions that I really wanted answers to and, you guys, they were both answered. It is one thing to hear people say I promise you that you will receive answers to your questions, but it is a whole different story when you truly experience it yourself and you know without a doubt that Heavenly Father is speaking right to you through His servants. I know I felt the Spirit testify to me and I felt it. We are so blessed to be able to have a living Prophet and Apostles here on the earth. I would invite any of you who have not had the opportunity to watch this last conference to do so. It was incredible! 

I love you all so much and I will let you know who my new companion is next week! 

Love, 

Elder DeLuca



​This is our mug shot face! 


Sister Nielsen is being transferred too. They will be missed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment