Monday, September 21, 2015

The Saenz and The Sabbath Day

I honestly do not understand how my weeks go by so fast!! We have been in a trio companionship so we goof around a lot more and maybe that's why! 

We had some lessons with the Saenz to make sure we covered everything before their baptism this week!  I have never met a family so prepared as they were. The Lord knows each of us and our lives perfectly and He worked it all out in the perfect time, as He always does. It was a miracle that we even found them because we were not planning on going back to that street that particular day, but we prayed about where we should go and then ended up knocking into them. They have told us things like, "We have been searching for this our entire lives, and you guys brought it to us." and, "I have been looking for a church home that I can take my family to and I have finally found it." The Spirit is very real and, as the scriptures teach us, that is what does the conversion....The Holy Ghost, not the missionaries. We are simply an instrument in the Lord's hands. The Holy Ghost is what carries the message to their hearts. 2 Nephi 33:1. 

Their baptism went really well. They know a lot of people from the ward and many people showed up to support them. The room where the baptismal font is didn't have enough room for everyone so we had to go to the Relief Society room and it was entirely full. I stay in contact with some members from Tomball and I told Dale Ure about this incredible family.  He drove all the way out here to be at their baptism. It was awesome. He and I went to the grocery store after the service while a member took my companions out to dinner. I sacrificed not having dinner to spend some time with Brother Ure. He is like another grandpa to me, who I can literally talk about anything with. We all need people like that in our lives. 

I have been studying more about the Sabbath Day and the principles that I have learned are important to me. To the world, the Sabbath is just another day but, to me, it is the Lord's Day. We are to rest from our labors and work, including making other people work. What is interesting to me is that the Bible is very clear about this in Exodus 20:8-11. Interestingly enough, that one commandment takes 4 verses to explain when all of the others 9 commandments are explained simply in 1 verse. Hence, this is important to the Lord. It is His day. Our modern-day prophets and apostles give us great council and caution on things pertaining to the Sabbath day. I have been pondering things I can do differently in order to truly do my best to keep it holy and sacred. I have made some changes in this process. There can even be conflict between me and companions at times, but when I explain things to them they tend to agree with me. For example, I have a companion who was going about to do his laundry last night and I said to him "Hey, do you mind just doing that tomorrowmorning?" At first he was like, "What's the big deal? I am only putting clothes in the washer." I said, "Yeah, I know but there is no reason why you cannot just do it in the morning. I am trying to keep the Sabbath holy and I have made a lot of changes as well. I'll let you wash everything you need to first, and then I will do mine. He was like, "Yeah, you're right. Ill just do it in the morning." By small and simple things are great things come to pass. 

I am grateful for my companions and their dedication to serving the Lord. Nowhere else in this world do you see 18-26 year old guys doing what we do. It is hard work, but it is so worth it. On Sunday morning, when all three of the Saenz were confirmed members of the church and received the Holy Ghost, I had an overwhelming amount peace fill my entire body. Everything that we do is for the salvation of others, and it is really tough at times, but when you find the elect, it makes it all worth it. We are not here to convert everyone. We are here to find the elect. The Lord is preparing people all across the world, it is just a matter of finding them! 

May we all do our best in loving and serving others that stand in need of love and service and may we all remember the Sabbath Day, and to keep it holy.  These are some of my greatest desires. I couldn't do what I do without the help of all of you and I certainly couldn't do it without the help of the Lord. He sustains me physically, mentally, and spiritually. 

Love, 

Elder DeLuca 



This is our district!


It snowed in Conroe this past Saturday! :) This is the Saenz Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment