Monday, December 21, 2015

A Great Turkey Day!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! We went to four different members' homes for dinner so I just nibbled on some things at each place that way I didn't have to roll myself out the door. My companions went all out though! 

After our last dinner, we went tracting. We talked to a really nice lady who said we can come back this Wednesday and her name is Teresa. We didn't feel super solid about her so we kept on knocking. After about 20 or so minutes we were starting to become a little frustrated because no one was answering and the ones that did didn't want to have anything to do with us. I suggested that we say a prayer, so I went ahead and offered that. I included in that prayer for Heavenly Father to lead us to someone who he has prepared. After the prayer, it started raining on us. It wasn't too bad at first, but none of us had rain jackets so when it started coming down harder we were all soaking wet. None of us wanted to say it, but we were just not feeling it. We kept on going and still nothing. We were just about to go back and then we decided to knock one more house. The lady ended up not wanting to talk to us and as we were leaving we noticed her neighbors garage was open with the light on. 

As we walked up to the garage a guys was like, "It's the Mormons! Come in here and get out of the rain!" We went in and he explained that he had an in-law that was a member of our church. We talked for a few minutes and then he asked if we wanted some food. My companions were stuffed, so I was like "Sure, I'll take some food!" I am willing to take one for the team. I'll gain a pound for a new investigator any day. Luckily, I just had a tiny bit. I wasn't hungry, but I wanted to get in that house! The chances of someone becoming an investigator and taking the lessons increases dramatically just by entering into their home. After we ate, his wife asked if we wanted to come sit down in the living room. Yes, please! We talked about the Restoration briefly and they both wanted us to come back this coming Saturday so we will see how it goes! :) I am telling you, the "Fourth Watch" is a real principle. The Lord does not come right away. He doesn't come right when it gets tough but, rather, He comes after the trial of our faith. 

Saturday, we had a lesson with Kent and Brother Lane came with us. Kent is the one who used to be a professional boxer and Brother Lane teaches boxing so it was pretty sick. We went in and they talked for just a couple minutes then we had a prayer and talked about the Book of Mormon and explained it in depth. Once I understood this principle that "the amount of the Book of Mormon an investigator reads, is directly proportionate to their conversion," I started to teach it differently. That principle has changed my life forever. It changes my studies, it changes the way I discuss it with members and it changes the way I teach it to non-members. Most importantly, it changes the way I will teach it to my children someday. At the end of the lesson, we asked Kent to say the closing prayer and asked him to ask Heavenly Father to know that the Book of Mormon is true. It's not a matter of "if" it is true. We know it is true. They need to ask for that knowledge to come to them as they read, ponder, and pray about it. He stopped partway through and looked at the pamphlet to see what else he should say, so I whispered to him, "Pray about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon." And he did. If they don't do it with us, the chances of them praying about it on their own are slim and if they don't say a specific prayer it is hard to get a specific answer. 

This Thursday is my last zone conference so I will be giving my departing testimony and I have literally been thinking about it for weeks now. I have put a lot of thought into it because I ask myself, "What do I wish I would have known when I first came out on my mission?" and "What could I say that would be of the most benefit for the missionaries to hear?" I think about that kind of stuff. I will report next Monday on the things I chose to talk about. My time is going so fast, and I can honestly say that I am learning the most in the last few months of my mission. I love it! Have a great week everyone! 



Sending some love from the three musketeers. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment