Monday, March 3, 2014

The Best Week By Far

Okay, so if any of you are at all like me, you sometimes see a long email, then pass by it and never read it. DON'T do that now, please. 
     
This past week was by far the best week I've had out here. Wednesday we had zone conference and we learned so much and it was great. I wanna move on to the fun stuff, though.
     
Thursday we went to an older couple's house to check up on them because Brother Z was very sick. (I'm gonna call them Brother and Sister Z.). Brother Z had a stroke about 14 years ago and as a result, he was paralyzed from the neck down. He still had some minor movement in his right arm though. Note that Sister Z married him after this had happened. She knew she would be taking care of him for the rest of his life. A few weeks back Brother Z was diagnosed with leukemia and he was not doing well at all.  When we went there on Thursday, Sister Z said that hospice told her he had 24 more hours. We sat there and talked for a while with her but he couldn't even say anything. 
     
Saturday, I had a very neat experience with prayer. Elder Christensen always showers first and he's quick, so Elder Peterson and I usually sit there for a minute and wait until he is done. I thought to myself "Why don't we do a little workout while we wait?" Soooo lately, we've been doing this good little workout. One of us will jump-rope while the other does jumping lunges and we do it constant for a minute then switch. Sounds easy, but try it! So Saturday they were waiting for me to get ready before we went to the gym, so I was rushing. I didn't say my morning prayers.  I know…..I'm a bad boy. Okay, so we went and worked out, then came home and did our little girly workout at the apartment (Sorry girls! It really is a good workout.).  Elder Christensen was done showering, so Elder Peterson went and I stayed on the patio to jump-rope some more. I do not currently hold a world record for jump-rope but I know how to do it and when I was by myself, every time I started, I ended up jumping onto the rope. No bueno. I did this like 4 or 5 times and started to get upset. Grrrrr! haha. 

I had a thought come to mind that said "You didn't say your prayers." and I just kind of ignored it. I kept trying to start jump-roping and my body could not do it. It was crazy. I wasn't tired or anything. Then another thought came and said "You're not gonna get it unless you say your prayers." I then again ignored it and tried. I failed. I set the rope down and got on my knees to pray. I said my prayers and in that prayer, I said "If it be thy will, Father, please help me be able to jump-rope". This sounds so silly but I'm being totally serious. I went back to the patio and started jump-roping. I could have gone forever! I seriously could have held that world record. I was so persistent in my jump-roping. I was on a roll for a few minutes and the only reason I stopped was because one of our investigators walked by, went to his car, then came back by and I finally stopped to talk to him. That is a whole different story. 

He went to some other church and feels that he needs to be attending that church instead. I was so sad but hey, it'll come at the right time. Moral of this story is that Heavenly Father hears our prayers. I promise you that. He is there to help us, we just have to be willing to seek for it. Some prayers are answered quick and some take time. Saturday was quick for me, but sometimes it takes longer. Give it time but do not ever be discouraged if your prayer isn't answered right away. He listens and he knows what you're going through. My testimony on prayer was strengthened greatly because if this experience, so I wanted to share. 
     
Later, we helped a less active member replace an A/C compressor on his truck then asked him now that his truck works, will you come to church? We know how to work the system (; hehe. Jk, but seriously. He came!  
     
We then helped out at The Woodlands marathon for like 4 hours. After getting home and showering cause we were so gross, we went out to do work. We went by some homes and no answer so we got back in the car and we were driving and I had a thought to call Sister Z. We called and no one answered. We drove over there and the lights were on but we weren't sure if we should go in.  We all stood neutral. I suggested that we pray about it and so we did. I offered the prayer and then we sat there for about a minute in silence. We all were trying to seek revelation on what to do. I felt that we should go in, so I told my comps to close their eyes and I was gonna say "whoever wants to go in raise your hand" (cause I didn't want any of us to influence the other's decision). The moment I said that, they both looked at me and said "I got a good feeling" then I was like, "Lets go." 

So we go to the door and Sister Z answers and invites us in. Brother Z was in his bed so we went in there and Sister Z just started talking. She was talking about how they met and basically their life story. To be honest, I was kind of in my own little world. I do this a lot, but this was different. My mind was running so fast and I was trying to keep up. My forehead was sweating and I was tense. I was very uncomfortable. Brother Z had some ice cream prior to us coming over and he was trying to cough it up, but he couldn't even do that. It disturbed me to watch him because I could do nothing. He looked at Sister Z and mumbled something but no one understood him. He kept reaching into the air as if he was grabbing something, then a few minutes later he looked at Sister Z and said "I love you". We all heard it very clear. She started to ball her eyes out and wrapped her arms around him so tightly and looked at us and said "He's about to go."  I have never witnessed anything like this before. Brother Z was trying to hold on and was struggling. She said "Its okay Din Din, Ill be there soon". Then, almost immediately, he passed. Saturday evening I literally watched Brother Z pass through the veil. I was lost in the moment and all I could do was cry. His last breath was at 7:42 pm on March 1st, 2014. I was there to watch his spirit and body separate and the feelings thereafter were so peaceful. I put my arm around Sister Z and said " Its okay, no more pain. He is so happy right now."  She looked at me and thanked me and told me that she knows. She told us that he waited for us to be there so she wouldn't be alone. We all feel the same. Not only were we there to comfort her, but our testimony on The Plan of Salvation grew immensely. We were all so humbled, especially me. 

This experience showed me that The Plan of Salvation is so real and that God is in control of everything. He loves us so SO much and he gives us the opportunity to come down to earth, obtain a physical body, gain experience and understanding, then hopefully make righteous choices that will lead us back to Him. I know that God lives. I know that he sent His only begotten son to atone for our sins. Jesus Christ is our Savior. He is our Lord and our Redeemer. We cannot make it home without Him. If I didn't know this, I wouldn't be serving a mission out here in the small state of Texas. I would be home doing the things I love doing (Driving cars). But I'm not. I am here. This is my home for now. This is my life. I love my life and this is just the beginning of it. I want you all to know how much I love you. I also want you all to go tell your family how much you love them, especially your spouse. For your spouse should be the most important person to you (for those that are married). 
     
I am so grateful to be here serving a mission for THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS, the one and only true church that is directed by a living prophet who holds the restored priesthood. I know other churches have truth, but this church has got it all. I am a representative of Jesus Christ and I know that he lives. I love you all so much and this is my testimony to you!

All my love, 

Elder DeLuca




Okay, this is a bad picture, but it's me!  This is at our apartment complex!

1 comment:

  1. Wow...what a story! Brock is so blessed to witness such a sacred experience as watching someone pass through the veil! This will bless him the rest of his mission...and life!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete